Construction Management via the Web with the Appia® software
The Appia system is a hosted web application for construction program management. The technology includes a modular approach to construction management functionality allowing organizations to implement one or many parts of the system in order to streamline their business process. Customizable business rules and configurations permit organizations to model the system after their existing business practices with little effort, providing a secure and comprehensive location for all construction projects.
The Appia system consolidates the estimation, bid management and construction cycles into one central database that is accessible by the project stakeholders, providing real-time reporting, clear communications and nearly paperless program administration. It is used by public works agencies and their engineering consultants in concert to achieve communication and progress on jobs.
The Appia system can manage the business processes in the major functional areas of the project life-cycle – estimation, bid management and construction – due to its flexible configuration and customizable business rules, providing organizations the opportunity to simplify and standardize their processes.
The three major functional areas – estimation, bid management and construction – are all available from a shared home page, accessible through an AJAX-controlled web interface. The Appia system communicates with various CAD systems via an XML interface to obtain item quantity information for deriving unit prices. The estimation and bidding process can also be extended to external users through the use of the estimating and bidding applications.
The Appia construction management system is a hosted solution, requiring only a web browser and minimal system requirements to operate. Being a hosted system means low overhead, easy maintenance and automatic updates and upgrades.
- Automates key functions via the web
- Provides electronic exchange of data and reports with consultants who perform design & estimation services
- Interfaces with the Bid Express® service, a market-leading Internet bidding service
- Allows contractors to submit secure, sealed, and digitally-signed bids via the Internet for error reduction and paperless bidding
- Increases collaboration, accountability, and efficiency among all stakeholders in construction program management
- Provides at-a-glance status updates via the Executive Dashboard
- Standardizes data and reports
- Easy to install, train, and use
- Scalable to projects of all sizes/types (roads, bridges, sanitation, airports, landscaping, etc.)
- Configurable to meet organizational business requirements
- Customer support included
The Appia software is an emerging technology. To date, there are 160 users of the system representing a variety of consulting engineering firms across the U.S. This number continues to grow each month.
None seen at time of writing.
Points of Contact
- Joe Phelan
Vice President of Sales and Marketing Info Tech, Inc.
5700 SW 34th St., Suite 1235 Gainesville, FL 32608
Phone: (352) 381-4400 Ext. 517
Fax: (352) 381-4444
Neither the Construction Industry Institute nor Purdue University in any way endorses this technology or represents that the information presented can be relied upon without further investigation.